Monday, February 3, 2014

Post Traumtic Stress Disorder Rates Rising

PTSD is a psychological disorder that has symptoms such as flashbacks and nightmares that can happen after an incident or obscene stressful event. Memories of the event can trigger this anxiety. According to USATODAY, there has been a rise at a rate of 5% of PTSD in our veterans. The cause is the continuous wars that our government has been involved in. After experiences from the war, they come back with PTSD from either physical trauma or just the mental images and emotional stress they have. The V.A. has been trying their best to move the veterans to therapy where they can get help, but it is a struggle as the amount of PTSD veteran patients has increase. While some are getting help, other veterans are not reaching out for help as stated in "because hundreds of thousands seek care elsewhere or not at all." All these wars has caused the decline in mental heath of our veterans and we should do our best to get them help and support them.

2 comments:

  1. I find it really sad that our veterans suffer PTSD and most of them can't get help for it. When I think of veterans, I think of them as happy people because they defend their country and are proud to serve. Seeing this makes me double take and realize that veterans have a lot going on for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning more and more about PTSD worries me about bringing children into the world one day. I know there's other ways of developing the disorder such as suffering very various traumatic experiences (like rape, death of a relative etc.) I like having things planned out to the very last detail ,but with a disorder like this, you really have no control over developing it or not. That's what scares me most.

    ReplyDelete